Holy Trinity Church Dartford’s parish church, which dominates the High Street, was built by Bishop Gundulf c.1080.
Dartford’s parish church, which dominates the High Street, was built by Bishop Gundulf c.1080. There is good evidence to suggest that a much earlier church occupied the site in Saxon times. Holy Trinity church provided a focus for the religious and ceremonial life of medieval Dartford. The church was significantly enlarged during the reign of Henry III (1216-72) to accommodate a new chapel dedicated to St Thomas of Canterbury for use by visiting pilgrims. Pilgrimages to Canterbury ceased in 1538 during the reign of Henry VIII. At this time, Becket’s altar was removed from Holy Trinity church, his festivals abolished, and the local trade in pilgrim souvenirs was halted.